Introductions Thread

Hello everyone. Earl here in southern Missouri. I have played old time, bluegrass and gospel since my uncle taught me to play in 1963. I have been building mandolins and guitars as a hobby since 1980. But strum machine is just about the greatest tool ever. Isn’t it wonderful to just click the mouse to change the key, the tempo and get as many repetitions as you want? What a great help when doing new compositions! Thank you Luke!

4 Likes

Howdy! Picking banjo in north central Ohio. I started taking lessons for a short time in Virginia in the '70s after going to a live Jim and Jesse McReynolds show. Left it off until recently, when I retired. Bought a new Goldtone OB150, and have found Strum Machine to be the most useful training tool. So easy to input a new arrangement. I’m a big fan of The Dillards, love Doug Dillards style of picking!

2 Likes

What a great app. Thank you Luke! I searched for an arrangement creator and the Universe showed me your app/site and the video of you playing fiddle tunes and that’s EXACTLY what I was looking for! <3

i was able to very easily create an arrangment for the fiddle tune I wrote. Too bad it’s late at night and I can’t jam it out yet, but am singing enthusiastically along to it.

Looking forward to all the new developments of this cool and magical app!

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m Paul and live in Halifax in the UK. I’ve been learning English Concertina for around 4 months and so I’m learning lots of fiddle tunes. Looking forward to having some accompaniment for my practice sessions.

4 Likes

Hello my name is Jerry Phillips. I i’m somewhat new to strum machine. I play part time
Professionally, but with the virus right now I’m not performing so I hope to share some songs I’ve created with this app.

1 Like

Welcome, Jerry! Nice to meet you.

Hi everyone, Daniel, retired chef, here in South Eastern Washington, I learned to play bluegrass banjo in the '70 in Milan, Italy. I kept at it. I am a bit slower, but not at all wiser. I just enrolled in the Kentucky School of Bluegrass and Traditional Music. Members of the Osborne family teach with other great musicians. It is at a Community College and it is online. Check it out! I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I discovered Strummachine a few months ago and became a fan overnight. I am a long time guitar player and new lap steel player focusing on western swing, Hawaiian, country, and jazz. I think unlike many folks here, my primary Strummachine use is not for playing along to bluegrass tunes (well, I admit, I have done some of that, too, and might just have to dig out that mandolin that I have lying around somewhere).

While I do use Strummachine’s playback feature for jamming, what really excites me is the ability to (very) easily enter song charts that I can recall later on my phone so I efficiently lay down my own backing tracks to a looper pedal. I enjoy playing rhythm and lead and to me it’s just good practice to build both sides into my routine. Anyway, Strummachine makes song creation a snap and the playback feature is great(!) for proofing your work. And it works just well on my PC as it does on my phone.

Brilliant Luke!

3 Likes

Jazz? That’s awesome :sunglasses: I hope you’re going to share some songs
Monika

Thanks Monika…I am still in the proofing stage and many are awaiting Luke’s next chord addition (m7b5/dom9/m6). Once that is in place I will look into sharing.

Planning to have m6, 9, and m7b5 chords available on the beta site sometime this week!

Awesome Luke! Great news!

:clap::sunglasses: Can’t wait! 6s and 9s!

I’m Brian Wood, from Northern California. I play fiddle and mandolin. I’ve built 10 fiddles, a five string, and a viola in the last several years. I host a web site of music transcriptions (notation) of old time, bluegrass, and other tunes that includes source recordings. I link transcriptions to my Strum Machine Tunes references so I can read notation by having a 2nd browser window open.

1 Like

Hi y’all, I’m near Fort Worth, Texas. I started playing fiddle about three years ago. I play in a weekly session with a small group of folks. Luke thanks making this, it’s an awesome tool that helped me improve even in the 14 day trial. I can only imagine how it will help in future.

Tim

2 Likes

Paul Davies from Denver CO. Acoustical Old Timey Harmonica player that has been teaching harp now for 41 years. I enjoy playing the chord changes on multiple harps and then the melody with lots on chugging. I love the program and my students are catching on as well.

2 Likes