MP3 creation feature [Available]

@BillNagle, the download destination is controlled by your web browser. So wherever your browser normally sends downloads is where you’ll find it. If you go into your browser’s preferences/settings, you should be able to find and change the default download directory, and/or perhaps some sort of “Ask me where to save downloaded files every time” checkbox.

1 Like

Thank you. Using with SongBook and its gonna help alot!

• ! Works fast and seamless. Thanks!

I concur! This is a great feature. Very easy to use. I can drop the SM track into Audacity and record over it, which is much easier than starting SM and Audacity separately. Then, I can just mute the SM track if I only want my own recorded tracks in the final mix. Easy, peasy. :sunglasses:

Are you just linking the mp3 to the lyrics in Songbook? I had not thought of that…thanks.

Yes downloaded the sm track and from the song`s pulldown, link to music file.

I had some noise too. Suspected clipping. Lowered bass volume and re-recorded. Fixed it. I don’t know if it was same noise.

I too had noise problems (clicking, popping and skipping) with the mp3 file conversion download process. I am working on a MacBook Pro and was using the Safari browser. When I switched from Safari to Firefox as suggested by someone in this thread, the problem went away. I just finished downloading about five tunes and imported them into my DAW. They work flawlessly! Thanks to whoever posted the browser change fix!

1 Like

YW Kevin. Great feature. I’m curious if you would also be interested in exported midi files as well to import the form into your DAW?

Hey Dave. I’m not really tech savvy when it comes to this stuff. Right now I’m just dragging and dropping the downloaded mp3 files into GarageBand. From there I add my own audio guitar, banjo and vocal tracks. I’m only doing this for practice and as a hobby so this seems to work just fine for me. However, I would be interested to know how I could benefit from MIDI files.

Would I be correct to assume that if I downloaded a MIDI file and dropped it into GarageBand I could then do things like change the sound of the bass from the one that is on the mp3 file to one of the other “upright bass” voices in my DAW?

Hi Kevin, thanks for the response. Yea, that would be something you could do and probably several other things that are yet to be discovered. Presumably you could also change the guitar chords to a piano. I was also thinking in terms of setting the key and tempo in the daw for a tune. thnx

Sorry guys, a MIDI export wouldn’t work like that. It’s been suggested before, and I may add it in the future, but only as a way to export chord information for certain third-party programs, not for playback. Strum Machine sounds as good as it does thanks to the fact that it uses real audio samples and stitches them together in a realistic way. That’s not something that would come through in a MIDI file, which only contains pitch/duration/velocity information, not samples. That said, I’ll probably add piano as an instrument in the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right. My use case was put a midi file with tempo and key information in the downloads folder when the Record (might need a better name for this) is being used. then I can import both the mp3 and midi file into my DAW. Not really high priority as I can do this myself in the DAW.

Gotcha. Would it be any help at all if the key and BPM were included in the filename?

sure, that would be handy. there could also be a requirement in some DAWs where at least one note needs to be in the midi file. maybe a short leadin 1/2 note.

Oh, I meant having the key and BPM info in the filename of the MP3 file…

1 Like

Exactly what I would like to do is import MIDI chords into 3rd party to laydown other instruments. I enjoy the ease of use of SM and use it primarily for my own practice etc. I would like to bring the chord structure after I build it in to DAW, BIAB or Garage Band etc. to add other instruments like Reso, Steel, etc. etc. to make a new track.

I also like the idea of SM where I can share with friends my own songs to practice on without them having to have a PhD in one of the other program options. Two different uses, but Chord structure / time would be helpful as export.

I use windows and record stuff in real time from you tube alot. I set my Audacity input AND playback to my speaker and it records flawlessly. Also in a situation where I have an mp3 file, drag and drop. Are u doing something different?

I used to record SM using headphone jack via cable to amp. Amp to Audacity via USB cable. Now I use SM’s record feature.

Numerous pops in the downloaded mp3 when using Chrome and Edge… clean with FireFox!