Additional strums — especially swing?

Hi,

The title pretty much asks the question. It would be a tremendous boon to me if 4/4 and 3/4 had the ability for the strums to swing on on request. 2-measure syncopation would also be nice someday but swing lets us play many ballad types not currently doable on Strum Machine.

I know how to fake swing using the 6/8 and 9/8 patterns but that places downbeats on every beat.

I would be happy to alpha test anything you can concoct in that regard.

Keep up the good work!

Mike

2 Likes

Definitely! In a few weeks I’ll be getting acoustic treatment for my office in our new home, which is currently way too echo-y to record in. Once that’s in place, I’ll be able to start working on assembling the samples required to put together new strumming patterns with upstrokes (among other things). This has long been a goal of mine, one I’ve already sunk dozens and dozens (hundreds?) of hours into with mixed results that didn’t see the light of day… but I’m pretty confident that this time I’ll nail it and be able to offer many more strumming patterns.

I’d be curious to know what you have in mind when you say “2-measure syncopation”. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Swing might mean different things, but I am reasonably happy using Strummachine’s existing patterns for practicing swing jazz. By turning off the guitar and using the mandolin (beats 2 and 4) and bass, its a decent approximation for standard 4 to the bar jazz rhythm. I use it for gypsy, standards, jazz blues, and Latin and it’s way better than a metronome (and swings just as hard). Could be that I am using some creative license with my imagination to make it work. That said, a real 4 to the bar option would be great. Standard jazz would be downbeats for the quarter notes, at least in the styles familiar to me. Just allowing the mandolin to play on all 4 beats could be very helpful.