Cut and paste to text format?

One thing that would be handy during online jams is the ability to cut and paste a text version of the chords? You know into something like:

||: A | A | E | A :||

A lot of the time I use strummachine as a quick chord lookup dictionary and this is easy to paste into messaging apps.

That’s true but text formatting is unpredictable. I share all the time but do it by just Copying and Pasting using a simple screen grab of just the chart area. It’s native on Mac and pretty sure it is on Windows as well.

Yes, both platforms have native screen grab shortcuts that let you select a rectangular area to capture to your clipboard, which you can then paste into a messaging app.

Windows uses ⊞ Win+Shift+S (S stands for Screenshot)

Mac uses ⌘ Cmd+Shift+4 (4 stands for… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

That said, I like the idea of being able to capture a text version of the chart to your clipboard too. It’s true that it might break down with some charts, and I’ve seen many different interpretations of text formatting for chords. It also tends to rely on monospace fonts, which aren’t necessarily available in a messaging app. But I have it on my list and I’m down to give it a try at some point when I get a chance.

Thanks Luke! I do use the screenshot future often as well. Just in a few contexts (Zoom for one) it’s not easy to share images in chat quickly. And text can be more compact too. By the way, I love the new beta site - nice work!

1 Like

I second the motion to have a copy/paste function to transfer chord charts to Word, Songbook, etc.

1 Like