"Drone" as an instrument choice

Hello, I have started playing with a drone to improve ear training, but I miss all of the Strum Machine features when using a drone.

Would you consider adding a steady drone tone (a D to replace a D chords, etc) as an extra instrument choice?

This would also be an improvement on my other drone where I am locked into the one tone throughout the tune, in strum machine we’d have all the chord changes.

In my imagination I would then use “Feet” and “Drone” to have a beat plus the steady tone to practice against.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ll consider it! Long sustained notes are trickier for Strum Machine’s audio engine to reproduce, but it’s on my list to explore sometime in the future. I’ve gotten a couple specific requests for cello drones so perhaps I’ll start with that. But honestly that’ll probably be after I add a couple other new instruments, TBA!

1 Like

Luke, not sure if your familiar with shruti box for drones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZf2Q8Y-xpo

There are lots of vids on YouTube. When I was a whole lot younger a spent some time in India and learned to play harmonium and mridanga drum. The shruti box is a simplified version of harmonium. The harmonium is a chromatic hand organ. But it also can produce drones like the shruti box while your playing.

1 Like