Experimental metronome and double-tap features!

I just released v398 of Strum Machine, which includes a couple experimental updates that you can opt into: “double-tap to play from here” and a “metronome / click track” feature.

Here’s a quick four-minute demo of where to find the features and how they work:

Let me know what you think! The metronome in particular is a “feature preview” that is going to take some more work before I’ll consider it “finished”, but for various reasons I won’t be able to bridge that gap until the fall so I wanted to get this (very usable) work-in-progress version out to you.

6 Likes

Good stuff Luke! I always use a metronome synced along with Strum Machine so now I can avoid that step. I hope with the next revision you can add the functionality of stressing the first metronome beat in a measure.
Keep up the good work.
Any plan to offer the ability to pay annually instead of monthly?

Fantastic, Luke! The metronome feature is just what I needed. My wife wants me to mention that she needs more cowbell. :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

I plan to do this, yes. I actually implemented the basic idea as a hidden feature of the “Quartz” preset.

LOL… I was going to invoke “More Cowbell” when I added cowbell in a future update, but you beat me to it! :joy:

Yes, you can pay annually, at a ~18% discount. Write into support using the Help menu in the top-right corner of Strum Machine and Ashley or Ellis will take care of it for you.

Hello, Luke!

Will the revised metronome that you are planning be featured as an instrument (like feet) or separately as it is currently? Personally, I would like to have it as an instrument that I can turn on or off in each song rather than it being on or off in all songs. Thanks for all that you do!

I did a survey awhile back to see whether people wanted a metronome that was toggled “globally” (as it is now) or applied on a song-by-song basis. The results were split, with a slight preference for the former but no clear winner.

The plan is to keep this Metronome feature as something that is toggled globally… but we would also like to add a way to add it as an instrument for folks like you who would prefer that. Most likely it will be set up as a generic “percussion” or “drum machine” instrument which can be used to set up a simple metronome click and/or more complex beats. That’s my current thinking, anyway.

1 Like