New Strumming Patterns Preview Release!

It’s gonna be awhile. Luke has a lot of things to sort out before release. That said, you can enjoy the beta just like the app by pinning the tab in your browser, or on mobile by pinning the beta to your home screen. From there you can launch it just like the mobile app.

Nice job, Luke. I like it very much. After 6 or 7 years with you, don’t remember how long, great to get some new strumming patterns. Fantastic. Thanks for all of your hard work and for making such a useful site for working on music.

Sincerely,
Don

2 Likes

Re: new strumming patterns in the mobile apps (@DannyHarlow’s message)

I’m going to see how soon I can get the beta features available in the app. @RobertBiggs is right, I have a lot of work left to do before it’s “done”, so it’s going to be awhile – August at the earliest, I think.

BUT, since audio playback on iOS devices is not so great outside of the app (due to bugs in iOS 15) I think what I’m going to do in the next month or so is to make the beta features available on the main site, but as something you have to opt in to – what’s called a “feature flag” in product development. I had this in mind from the beginning so it should be pretty easy to do without messing up the main site for those who aren’t ready to play around with the new stuff.

2 Likes

Good idea for the iOS users. I like software flags. :slight_smile:

I think it’s called “swang” in southwest VA :rofl::violin:

I would to see the ending fix, pretty hard to go back on the older app, just saying.
I already played two gigs, another this weekend, great job!! People have noticed the difference in the bluegrass rhythm

I’m cutting and pasting the ending from the old app using Audacity.
It’s a PITA but it works.

Would any of you mind getting in a short call with me to chat about volume controls? I’m really struggling with this aspect of the new version, and it would be very helpful to hear what you want from the app in this regard, and discuss some ideas for how to implement it.

You can book a 15-minute time slot here:
https://savvycal.com/lukeabbott/survey-chat

(And I will prioritize getting song endings working again!)

When is this going to be?

I’m confused. The volume controls seem fine for the per instrument controls as they are in the Beta. What am I missing?

1 Like

When is this going to be?

The SavvyCal page I set up lets you pick a convenient time to chat.

The volume controls seem fine for the per instrument controls as they are in the Beta. What am I missing?

Here are a couple of the bigger potential problems I perceive. I may be overestimating how problematic they are.

• There’s currently no way to set the default volume for a new song you open. The simplest fix is the upcoming Presets feature, which will let you save the genre, strumming pattern, volumes, etc. as a “template” you can apply to any song. Not quite as simple as the old app-wide volume settings panel, but maybe acceptable?

• There’s currently no way to adjust instrument volumes app-wide. Is this something people need? That’s part of why I want to chat!

Luke, we already have app-wide volume control for the Beta–the device’s volume control-whether computer or mobile. Not sure why you would want to bother providing something everyone already uses for global volume control.

If you’re going to have presets that you can choose when making a new song, then you don’t need to worry about some other way of providing default volume control. The user is already in control through the device of the total volume that StrumMachine outputs already. I think you’re over-thinking the volume control issue. Having presets will provide default volume control for instruments for a new song.

What I am curious to know about the presets concept, will you be able to go back and change the preset to globally affect the songs using it or is it only at assignment time?

I was referring more to individual instrument volumes than the overall “master” volume. For example, turning up just the standup bass on all playback.

If you’re going to have presets that you can choose when making a new song, then you don’t need to worry about some other way of providing default volume control.

I’m starting to come around to this opinion myself as well. Maybe I should start by finishing up the presets feature and then see what people think.

What I am curious to know about the presets concept, will you be able to go back and change the preset to globally affect the songs using it or is it only at assignment time?

That is a great question. My current plan is to have it only at assignment time, for simplicity. I don’t think I’m going to have an “Edit” option for presets, actually, only rename/delete options. Otherwise there might be confusion regarding “if I edit this preset, does it affect my other songs?”

I still think the vast majority of users are not going to want to turn up one instrument on all their songs. Every song is so different. Turning up the bass on all songs would lead to some songs with way too much cowbell. OMG! Hey, how come we have no cowbell? LOL. If you really think that’s something you want to explore, put it on a list for future possibilities. I don’t think you need to waste precious brain cycles on that feature at this point in development. Best plan is KISS. Biggest mistake when trying to launch a software product is trying to add too many features for the first launch. If you can launch with half the features you were considering, and they work well together, that’s a great launch. And the users and kick the tiers to see how it holds up. My 2¢. It’s always better to leave more advance features for a later update.

1 Like

OK, I just released a new beta version with Presets: save a preferred configuration of genre, instrument lineup, volumes, styles, etc., and then save it as a preset. You can then apply those settings to other songs with just a couple of clicks.

@RobertBiggs Yeah, I’m in wait-and-see mode for now. I need to collect more data, i.e., hear from more users. I’m extra concerned about this feature because it’s not just something I’m adding… it’s something that has been removed, which some folks may not be too happy about. I know from user feedback that some app-wide volume adjustments or overrides would be appreciated… but I need to hear from more users before I’m ready to design the interface and behavior for that feature.

So to anyone who misses the app-wide volume/mute controls: write to me or set up a phone/video chat!

In the meantime, I’ll be turning my attention to other areas of the beta such as song endings, and continuing to add more strumming patterns.

2 Likes

Song endings are now fixed on the beta version for most of the new strumming patterns. I will need to circle back to the Celtic style because usually Celtic tunes wrap around to the first note of the tune at the end, which entails adding an extra strummed beat at the end. That’s surprisingly difficult to program but I’ll get it eventually.

2 Likes

Luke, everything seems to be developing nicely. I really appreciate having lots of control over my backup musicians as they’re usually an unruly bunch! One question. Is the basic boom chuck strum the same as old-time?

You just my day, thank you!!!

1 Like

@JohnStevens The “Basic Boom Chuck genre” is the default because it matches the old Strum Machine style, so that someone who wants things to stay the way they are can just ignore that button and keep on carrying on. The “Old-Time” genre defaults to the same strumming pattern, yes… but eventually there will be more options for bass runs, as well as a clawhammer banjo by default.

Hey Luke, I know you’re thinking about eventually updating the foot stop with a deeper one. What I’m thinking is offer two: the current sharper foot tap and a deeper wooden floor stomp. I noticed that for a lot of songs I tamp with the front of my boot, which gives me something close to what you currently have. But some songs right from the get go I stomp with my heel for a deeper, louder sound for that get up and move with the groove feeling. :wink:

1 Like