Orange Blossom Special - fiddle sheet music

I am looking for the fiddle sheet music of the Orange Blossom Special that is the same as the accompaniment in your collection. If anyone could steer me in the right direction for it, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem purchasing the music, but I want to get the same version as the piece in Strum Machine.

Thanks,
Jane

Jane,
I have a version of OBS listed.
On the first several bars, you have to vamp an Em with endless variations, pluck the E string etc etc. It is unlikely you will ever find them written out. You have to work it out from others playing.
The main body of the tune can be taken from the Fiddler’s Fakebook or just Google “Orange Blossom Special Sheet Music”. There are lots of tutorials of YT, but the one I found most helpful in the beginning was: Orange Blossom Special - YouTube
I hope this helps. If you need more information, please let me know.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this information. The YouTube video is really good - I hadn’t seen it before so thanks!
I have several versions now of OBS - now I just have to buckle down and learn it! Strum Machine really, really helps!

Yes, that video is pretty good as it is slow and detailed enough to see the Colleen’s fingers.
The only books I have seen that details some E7 licks for OBS, are Stacy Phillips “Hot Licks for Bluegrass Fiddle” Oak Publications 1984 and Hollis Taylor “Tricks From the Devil’s Box” Self Published 1994.
You may be able to track those down. If not, let me know.
However, I’m convinced that the best way to have your own version of OBS is to fool around with the E7 vocabulary and shuffle with the Strum Machine backing track, rather than mimicking someone else’s solo.
Hope this helps Jane.

Jane,

I agree with John abput Stacy Phillips Hot Licks book. He has it broken down for each part. And that is a great book in many other regards.

Another source is Craig Duncan’s “Advanced Fiddling” where he has a complete 4-page version of OBS sheet music.

Joel Reagan

2 Likes

Ok - that is great to know! Thanks - I will check out that book. I have a couple of versions now but I’d really like a bit more guidance for the Orange Blossom Special.

1 Like