Panning Instruments Separately

It looks like the instruments are always played in a mono track. I’m wondering how hard it would be to add panning. That would add so much more realism to the tracks for actual backup. Is that something that you could support, Luke? I noticed that panning is documented in the web audio docs by Mozilla: PannerNode - Web APIs | MDN

TablEdit supports panning instruments with a dedicated slider for each one.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s coming. In fact, as part of the iOS updates I worked on in December I did all the necessary coding to have panned instrument channels (on iOS, Android, and the web). All that’s needed now is the user interface, which I am going to tackle as part of the UI overhaul that will be needed as part of the new strumming patterns which will be coming in the next few months.

7 Likes

So using 2 bluetooth speakers I could conceivably put the bass in the middle, mandolin and guitar to the left and maybe piano and banjo to the right? Playing just for myself, and putting the speakers in front of me, that would allow me to simulate playing in a circle. Putting the speakers to my left and right would allow an audience to hear me playing in an acoustic stage setting.
PS: I use UE Boom bluetooth speakers that can play in stereo when connected through their iOS app. I can connect a virtually unlimited number of their speakers though more than two is always in mono.

2 Likes

Correct, more or less. How much it feels like playing in a circle remains to be seen… stereo psychoacoustics is a fascinating and complicated subject. But yes, you’ll be able to pan instruments left, right, or anywhere in between. (And it might take me awhile yet to get piano and banjo instruments in there!)

Note to others reading this: most Bluetooth speakers play in mono; only some have a special feature where you can link two together to play as a stereo pair.

4 Likes

I use ThunderBoom bluetooth speakers for outdoor busking and I set them in stereo mode. I put them about 4/5 feet from me: one on my right and the other on my left. For panning I have the guitar and feet on my right and the base and mandolin on my left. And me in the middle playing banjo. The effect is that is sounds like I have other musicians playing with me. When musicians stop to listen, then you see that look in their faces trying to figure out how I have that back sound coming out on such little speakers. A lot of times it’s hard to even see the speakers, so you just hear StrumMachine booming out and me playing away on my banjo. He he.

4 Likes